Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Tuesday, December 19, 2006

More on Division III

Lots of good thoughts on the NCAA Division I vs. Division III dilemma on yesterday‘s entry.

Just to add a little to yesterday’s discussion. I remember my senior year I went on a few visits to NCAA Division III schools and the coaches always told me after I sent my financial forms in they could always find me a little “extra grant” or what not even though they didn’t have scholarships. When I visited John Carroll, a national Division III wrestling power at the time, long time coach Tony DeCarlo told me I’d just about be going to school for free. I think I would have had to pay maybe $1000 per semester or something like that which was a pretty good deal.

Division III schools, like Mount Union, don’t have athletic scholarships but they do have a way to get you on campus. But the Purple Raiders are so successful kids flock there because they know what a successful program they have.

Anyway athletics is secondary. Getting your degree is what’s really important. It doesn’t matter if you play Division I, II, III or NAIA sports if you don’t get your degree….that’s supposed to be what you are there for.

Tomorrow a look at the BVC boys basketball race. Can anyone knock off L-B?

NEWSWORTHY:
Northwest Ohio Wrestling News and Results
Ada Superintendent resigns after second DUI arrest
Mansfield area prep roundup
Lucas football coach steps down
Shelby swimmers top Upper Sandusky
Findlay Courier Tuesday Local Sports
Fostoria Review Times Tuesday Local Sports
Kalida boys stop Delphos Jefferson
Landwehr’s 37 leads Fort Jennings past Kalida girls
Fort Jennings’ Metzger wants to play for the Buckeyes

1 Comments:

  • At 7:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Devil's Advocate here...

    Schools that repackage aid for athletes and not the general student population are in violation of NCAA rules, plain and simple. You hear claims that "everybody does it" or that a high percentage of their enrollment is comprised of athletes, but it doesn't wash. People can rationalize any way they choose, but in essence you have entered into an agreement with an institution of higher learning that is living a lie. What message is sent? The student and family are grateful for every penny and are not aware of the scam but the institution should know better.

    cdp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home