Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Friday, January 19, 2007

VBI Day

Most of you will find today’s entry a little blasé’.
But it’s the first day of the 29th annual Van Buren Invitational.
This is one of my favorite events to cover of the entire prep sports season. Ever since I have gotten to the Courier, it’s a rare night when one of the other writers on the staff has went out and covered wrestling.
They like it that way and I like it that way. My sports editor called me a “pit sniffer” yesterday. I guess that’s a derogatory phrase to describe a wrestling fan. I’m OK with that.
I guess I enjoy it because I wrestled my way through high school and college and even did a little coaching for 15 years or so. It’s what I know best.
Plus, I know all of the area coaches and kids involved in the sport from around the area. I’ve seen some of the coaches’ families grow up and they are some of the nicest, hard-working guy around.
In hoops you get the team ready maybe have a morning shoot around. And then coach in the game that night after about 4 hours you get to go home to your family.
In wrestling, your weekend starts with a 3 p.m. bus ride on Friday afternoon and extends all the way through Saturday night with little rest in between.
Believe me when I tell you --- it’s a full weekend.
Call me a pit sniffer if you want I don’t care. I’ll be at Van Buren this weekend writing about area wrestlers and enjoying every minute of it.

NEWSWORTHY:
NW Ohio Wrestling Results and Information
Eagle girls gone mild (Story about Eastwood’s 15-7 win over Genoa)
Findlay Courier Friday Sports
Fostoria Review Times Friday Sports
St. Joe streaks past St. Wendelin
Bad first quarter dooms Fremont Ross girls
Gibsonburg takes down Woodmore girls
Fremont area prep roundup
Bowling Green Senitinel Tribune Sports
Defiance Crescent News Sports
Lima News Friday Sports
Mansfield area prep roundup
Marion Harding girls stay unbeaten in GBC
WBL League Play begins to heat up
Tiffin Advertiser Tribune Friday Sports

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home