Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Friday, September 22, 2006

Hockeytown?

We have a new hockey and skating venue in Findlay. It’s called the cube. The Hancock Rec Center was taken over by the city and has undergone a $2 million renovation. I haven’t been out there yet but I hear it’s pretty nice.

I understood why the University of Findlay built their hockey arena, they were forming a team and they needed a place to play. I wasn’t surprised hockey didn’t last at UF. Sure we have youth hockey in the area but this isn’t Detroit or Canada and people just aren’t as interested in hockey and don’t grow up playing hockey like they do in other places.

In addition to the ribbon cutting at The Cube yesterday, they announced that Findlay is getting a professional hockey team. The Findlay Freedom will be a Class A team in the North Eastern Hockey League. I just can’t see it flying. I guess all the negative experiences we’ve had with these minor league teams saying one thing and doing another have jaded me over the past 5 years.

The Findlay Wolfpack was going to play hockey here too I think in 2004. But the league folded and the team skipped out on it’s obligations and left town before a puck even dropped at Klauss Arena or HRC. It was a joke.

Then there was Dean Schoenwald and the Ohio Professional Basketball League. They were going to put a franchise in Findlay and were going to play at either FHS or, a laugh aloud when I even say it, the old skating rink, which is now the Jim May Auto Center just off of Twp. Rd. 99 and I-75. That never materialized either even though the organizers of the league charged $50 per player for tryouts across Ohio and never put any league together. I think it was all a scam.

So I’m taking a wait and see approach to the Findlay Freedom. We’ll see if they ever drop a puck and play in Findlay.

NOTEWORTHY:
-- If you check out The Courier website on Friday nights we update the final scores of area games as they come in.

-- Anyone reading the blog…drop me a line and tell me what you think or leave me some feedback. If no one is reading the blog…I’ll cut it back.

NEWSWORTHY:
Pro hockey coming to Findlay
Findlay Courier sports roundup
Fostoria Review Times Friday sports
Man pleads guilty to harassing deer, with a helicopter
Ada gets first girls soccer victory
Mother at Lorain Clearview not allowed to “save” her seats
Pandora-Gilboa celebrates 50th homecoming game tonight
Mansfield News Journal prep roundup
Riders look to bounce back against O-G
Upper Sandusky-Columbian preview
Hopewell-Loudon beats 2nd ranked Stockaders
Calvert seeks to stop Streaks
Clarett apology read in court

11 Comments:

  • At 10:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please don't cut back. I have it bookmarked and check at least twice a day. I dont live in Findlay anymore and this gives me more than The Courier does online. I like seeing the game notes on here.
    Do you guys still put 6-8 standout locals on B-1 on Saturday mornings? I miss that without the paper. Keep it up!

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with the other comment. Please keep it up

     
  • At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your blog has been very informative. Keep it up!

     
  • At 9:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please keep blogging, it's very interesting. Also, thanks for ruffling the feathers of the OHSAA powers that be on the football playoff fiasco. I'm a little suprised the little schools (most of NW Ohio) didn't raise more of a stink about it. It's ridiculous. Hopefully, they'll decide their error and make it a little more fair.

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please keep it going. It's a daily read for me.

     
  • At 6:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Read it almost every day. Keep up the good work.

     
  • At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Keep up the great work! Please don't cut back! The game notes are great along with the stats! FYI: Leipsic's running back is Morin, not Marin.

    Viking 22

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't cut back, Jamie. I enjoy reading what you have to write. Heck, I'd even encourage more.

    Rob

     
  • At 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jamie,
    Keep the info coming. It's great to read the stories in the paper, then the stuff on the site where you don't have to be impartial — even more feeling than a column.
    Loved the stuff about the OHSAA and changes to the football divisions. Negative feedback on that idea, I can't believe it! Ha.

     
  • At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't cut back. I read it so much I just subscribed to the RSS feed.

     
  • At 6:18 AM, Blogger --J-- said…

    OK I won't cut back I actually enjoy it. Anyone look at any of the links to sports stories I post?

    I always try and find one bizarre non-sports story on the Associated Press Strange News Wire(Yes there is a strange news wire).

     

Post a Comment

<< Home