Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Barbaro RIP

I know there’s a couple of big basketball games on the slate for Friday night and we will get to them tomorrow.
But for now it’s one of the most polarizing issues of today -- a horse.
Yep, Barbaro has passed on to that great pasture in the sky.
Now I don’t want to debate the sport of horse racing. That is an entirely different issue altogether.
But Barbaro’s death seems to have split people into two camps…those who get it and those who don’t.
Those who get it are former or current horse owners and other animal lovers who feel some kind of sense of loss at Barbaro’s passing. Some people sent him edible treats during his recovery others sent stuffed animals balloons, cards and even letters although I’m pretty sure Barbaro couldn’t read.
Then there is the other camp. Those that can’t understand all the fuss about a horse and how and why the media is making such a big deal of the whole thing. After all, it was a horse.
I guess you can put me and many of my co-workers in the second camp.
I understand an attachment to animals. Two years ago when I had to put my 11-year old cocker spaniel Joe Cocker down I broke down and cried. But the attachment goes only as far as those animals I’ve shared my life with not animals I’ve watched on TV or read about in the newspaper.
It’s all about me. Barbaro isn’t going to put food on my table, a roof over my head. His death doesn’t affect me personally in everyday life. While it is a shame, it’s not a tragedy in the grand scheme of things.
Call me an uncaring, unfeeling bastard. I’ve been called worse. But I don’t get why it is such a big story.

NOTEWORTHY:
Suggested Barbaro headlines (don‘t get your panties in a bunch it‘s just a few headlines we came up with last night):
Thoroughdead
From All-Pro to Alpo
Barbar-Oh!
WWBG (You know a play on what would Jesus do?) What Would Barbaro Glue?

NEWSWORTHY:
Findlay Courier Tuesday Sports
Fostoria Review Times Tuesday Sports
BG Sentinel Tribune Monday Sports Roundup
Eastwood girls coach is suspended
Bryan girls fall to Ottawa-Glandorf
Markward’s Triple Sinks Jefferson
Arlington smashes Delphos Jefferson 65-47
Defiance Crescent News Sports
Port Clinton News Herald Tuesday Sports
Van Wert priest resigns (Former St. Wendelin HS principal)
P-G parents fighting for principal

9 Comments:

  • At 3:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm with you on that it really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Yes he was a great racehorse, but honestly, it's just an animal. My guess is that there wasn't much else of consequence that day for news.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    And I supose your mother was just a mother!

     
  • At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I believe what touched people so much was the fact that we lost another chance at a likely triple crown winner. I guess you have to follow racing, but in the horse world he was really something else. It is rare to see a horse come along that accomplished what he did. I lived in Louisville, KY and had horses growing up. I get "it". I was deeply saddened by the loss of this great horse. The only bright spot is the fact that this spring there is a colt to be born that will be a full brother to Barbaro (from the same mare and stallion). Maybe...........

     
  • At 6:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree with Jaime on this one. Unless you actually worked with or owned the horse, it really doesn't affect the general population. Pets and animals in general make life better for those who appreciate them.

     
  • At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm in your camp on this one Jamie. I mean, get real? Great article in the LA Times by TJ Simers today about the silliness of this. I mean, it's a horse people? People in the other camp are saying how courageous and brave Barbaro was? Courageous? Brave? It ran because the jockey was beating it's butt with a whip. A fact, nearly 200 race horses are put down due to race injuries like Barbaro got. Why such a fuss on this? Because it was a derby winner and it was on TV. No offense Jamie, but this is purely a media event.

    JDee

     
  • At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I like how TV news ran a mugshot of the horse with the horse's name under it and 2003-2007 under that. About the month ago, they ran President Ford's mugshot with Ford's name under it and 1913-2006 under that. It was as if they contributed equally to society. Well, on that note...

     
  • At 3:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If your mom dies, would they run an obit in paper? Why, her death would only affect her close friends and family, why would I or anyone else care? Again, to quote the Fonze, "just a horse? Just a horse Mr. B? And I suppose your mother was just a mother!"

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Like it or not- people will talk about this horse for a long time.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just think you are cute!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home