Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Bowling as sport

Is it or isn’t it?
That’s the question. Is bowling a sport or isn’t it? I say yep it’s a sport.
Others would argue it’s an activity not a sport. But you don’t have to be a great physical specimen to be a bowler but you do need some skill.
I guess this is an interesting topic because this weekend will be the first OHSAA sponsored Northwest District bowling tournament at Varsity Lanes in Bowling Green.
One thing some of the boys at work have said is that if you can drink and smoke while you play it shouldn’t be a high school sport. I guess that would include bowling and golf.
I guess I’m all for bowling. It may give some student-athletes a chance to compete for a title that might not be inclined to participate in other sports. And there’s something to be said for playing team sports. You learn to get along with others, work together and pull your own weight. All things you will have to do in the real world after high school.
So good luck to the Fostoria, Ottawa-Glandorf and Patrick Henry teams competing at BG this weekend, and that‘s coming from a bowler who‘s lucky to break 100.

NEWSWORTHY:
Ottoville boys run the table in the PCL
Findlay Courier Local Sports for Tuesday
Fostoria Review Times Sports for Tuesday
St. Joseph girls get win No.18 against Vanlue

Lima News Tuesday Sports

Labels:

7 Comments:

  • At 9:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you. A sport is defined as an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature. Sure anyone can bowl, but to be good at it requires skill.

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I would call it a skill, not a sport. Skill is an ability that has been acquired by training.
    I could get all the training in the world, at 5'8", I would never make it in BB or FB. A sport takes athletisim. Car racing too is a skill, not a sprt. In my opinion.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    What sport will L-B get first? Wrestling or Bowling.

     
  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This is funny because we've had this discussion in the coaches office before. One guy argued that jockey's are athletes and another disagreed, saying that the horse was the athlete. Then it expanded from there. I don't know what to think, but I definately know that bowling isn't easy. I am leaning more along the lines of a sport. Just because somebody isn't 6'5" 250 doesn't mean that they can't be an athlete. Jerome Bettis bowls, as do other athletes.

     
  • At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'll call bowling a sport because it does take coordination and some skill. I do disagree that the OHSAA added it as a competitive sport.

    JDee

     
  • At 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Horse shoes is not easy, is it a sport?

     
  • At 5:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm getting in on this late...

    I would term bowling as a recreational sport..along with golf, horseshoes, etc. Car racing is just a waste of fuel ;)

    I bowled for quite a few years on one or two leagues a week..back in the day when Carey had two nice facilities with 10 lanes apiece and you kept score yourself or gave a scorekeeper a tip to do it for you. Good times... It was nearly impossible to get on a league in those days or even get a lane for open bowling at times. They say bowling is making a comeback, but I don't think the young'uns are buying it. Possibly because there's no big bucks, fame or glory in it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home