Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

White out

OK I have strayed from the beaten path somewhat this week.
It will be back to sports later this week and next as tournaments begin heating up.
And I’m going to do so again today.
It’s the great Blizzard of ‘07. I’ll tell you that storm last night was pretty bad. But some people use no common sense.
If you take it slow and easy everything should be all right. If you take your Geo Priszm out on rural county roads at night in the middle of the blizzard, expect the worst.
I went to the store Monday night the bread and milk aisle was ravaged. It looked like the storm had already struck. I think the Findlay area had enough bread, eggs and milk to make enough French Toast to last them until May.
Actually sometimes I think these snowfall forecasts are trumped up by the milk, egg and bread companies to boost sagging sales. But yesterday’s storm was no conspiracy it was a good old fashion dumping. It was probably the biggest winter storm to hit the area in the last five years, it’s the biggest I can remember in that span.
It made me start thinking about the big one. The Blizzard of ‘78.
Some of you out there might not be old enough to remember the Blizzard of ‘78. I do I was 10. We lost power and spent a whole week home from school. The thing I remember most is my mom putting me and my two younger brothers all in the same king sized bed to stay warm at night.
Drifts were 6-8 feet tall it was something I will never forget.
Here’s a historical view of the Blizzard of 78 from a Kent State University historian.
There was also a documentary made on the Blizzard of 78 made by WBGU TV in Bowling Green. I always like to catch the show everytime its one. Here’s a link to the show.
What are your memories of the Blizzard of 1978?
Tomorrow, as promised earlier in the week, my top 10 list of prep sports websites.

NEWSWORTHY:
Fort Jennings girls wins barnburner
Findlay Courier Wednesday Sports

Labels:

2 Comments:

  • At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    bliz of '78:
    I lived in a Frat house here in Findlay. The backdoor blew open overnight and we had a snow drift running from the doorway towards the basement steps. Many of us got up early and cleared the 'house' snow away. Then 6 of us (all big boys) got in a car and drove to the convience store to buy required staples (beer). Yes we were stupid to go out. But common sense was gone for the day.
    We got real good at cards and made many visits to the girls dorms (no power, we'll leave it at that).

    I remember rationing food.

    The national guard did a great job and were very quick to clear up the town.

    We did do volenteer work that whole week mostly clearing away driveways.

     
  • At 8:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was in college at the time and recall a Toledo weather man giving the details of what was taking shape. His last comment was "Folks, I'm scared." We had no idea how right he would be. I kind of scoffed when the initial blast was made up of rain, then the serious stuff set in. I lived on the third floor of a dorm and could drop about three feet out my window to a drift that allowed me to slide to flatter snow, since it would be incorrect to say the ground, we couldn't find ground. A Strohs beer truck jackknifed on I-75 a couple of days later and a few guys were at a restaurant nearby. The driver said that he couldn't deliver the beer and that it was insured so he told the guys to have at it. Several pickup truck caravans later there were cases of beer everywhere, at least 200 cases on my floor alone. I soon came down with the flu while, at the same time, the water froze up leaving many to become resourceful. Hair was rinsed with beer, teeth were brushed with beer, and the lovely scent of Strohs beer filled the dorm. It was not the type of smell one desired while battling the flu. The guys on my floor were so considerate that they would often come to my aid, frequently offering a beer to soothe my condition, at which time I would deposit what was left in my stomach in a nearby trash can. After I healed I returned the favor and offered my angels of mercy the contents of said trash can.

    I won't minimize the effects of the recent storm, but it could not hold a candle to the conditions of 1978, although anyone who lived it already know that full well. It was surreal.

    cdp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home