Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hate mail from Kenton

OK my few faithful blog readers…I’m leaving it up to you.

My fate is in your hands.

Did I go over the line when I wrote the following prediction in The Courier’s Pigskins Picks…

"OTTAWA-GLANDORF over Kenton -- I'm pretty certain no felon deer pranksters will be playing for O-G."

Some Kentonites seem to think I went over the line. I guess I was stating my unequivocal view of the matter that the Kenton school board did the wrong thing in not passing a resolution banning convicted felons from extracurriculars.

My question to you…Should I apologize like some of the emailers think I should. Have I been a bad boy and do I deserve to be taken to the woodshed?

You tell me…Here are the emails…

From AR at the University of Findlay…
“That was a pretty unprofessional post. There should be some sort of appology to Kenton.
Those kids were ok'd to play by a judge. They are eligible to play, so they are playing. These kids have
taken quite a bit of negativity from the public. Lets sit back a minute and think of things we did as kids or do now. For example, driving drunk or speeding. Those things put someone's life at risk. Every day people are doing these things and getting off much easier than those boys did. So how about we be more professional and let things in the past go.
In addition, a friend of my family was killed in a car accident a month prior. She was killed by two students of Hardin Northern as they were driving drunk. Why were they not punished? Why do they not get the negativity and publicity?
I hope you grow a bigger heart before your next post.”

From VW, a Kenton City School employee..
“I found your comment about the OG-Kenton prediction to be VERY rude,crude,unprofessional, and uncalled for!! I am from Kenton,work for KCS and this has been a very difficult situation and we really do not need people like you continuing to make such comments..I will NOT be buying the Courier anymore!!!”

Email No.2 from VW
“As for what the school board did,I do not fully agree with the vote,but,to eliminate a "big lawsuit",might just be the reason the vote went that way..Were you there at the meeting?? I was.....no,as a 40 year fan,I
did not like what has happened,but,for you,the media,to continue to make rude comments just keeps the pot stirred.. as a community we need to heal and you as the media just won't let it happen..My next email will be to the editor for your paper...Sorry you are so immature to not see the whole
picture…”

From BB, whereabouts unknown
“I think that your comment about the felon deer pranksters was totally out of line and uncalled for. As a sports writer I would have hoped for some maturity. Your maturity is worse than the students who commited the prank.”

From RW

“I felt the comments about the Kenton football team today were crude and uncalled for. Please tell Jamie she was way out of line”

Now it’s your turn to weigh in.

15 Comments:

  • At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, I do think you went overboard. Remember they are 16 and 17. I definitely do not agree with their actions, but they have been scrutinized, tried, and convicted in public court enough.

     
  • At 4:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Out of line, maybe. I think the whole thing just needs to go to rest and let all the kids get on with playing ball. You know this is affecting more than just those two boys. Maybe there won't be any pranksters playing for OG this weekend, but you have to ask if these boys had been from OG and basketball stars, would the shoe have been on the other foot. Not saying anything bad about OG, just posing the question.

     
  • At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Putting a plug in for the next great discussion board for high school sports. Thes ite was developed by the infanous jjhuddle poster, Rocketman. Good high school sports discussion with Northwest Ohio roots.

    www.rocketcorner.com

    Oh yeah, Its free!!!!

     
  • At 5:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I remember several years ago there was an OG basketball player who was under house arrest, and played with an ankle braclet.

     
  • At 6:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As I've posted on here before, sports is a priviledge, not a right..and these two should be doing the time for the crime..now.

    BUT...the Pigskin Picks was not the forum for that comment. Should you apologize? I'm not your Mother ;)

    PS..Wow, that was some challenge to the Mohawks in the picks..that comment could backfire, as I'm sure the Falcons are aware of the intent behind that comment :)
    Good Luck to both of those programs!

     
  • At 6:52 AM, Blogger --J-- said…

    Looks like I'll be issuing an apology. I better get the emails and write them back personally.

    Thanks all

     
  • At 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As long as you get wrestling in LB say what you want! Do people think this will go by the way side. It will be talked about for years to come. I wonder if there will be any good deals on deer targets at the coon dog trials this year! It is truly sad someone got hurt in the prank but the pranksters are playing ball and Kenton will be under the gun for a while that is the way it will be!

     
  • At 8:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I personally enjoyed it. But, then again, I'm the kind of person who says things like that. My opinion is if you do something stupid, you are fair game to be called out for it. I thank you for calling them out.

     
  • At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Free speech is a beautiful thing. Keep shaken the cage.

     
  • At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's your Blog. That's the point of blogging! If this was a huddle thread you would be throttled. Look, you have an opinion and unless this is owned by your employer then tough. If someone doesn't like it then DON'T VISIT THIS BLOG.

     
  • At 5:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm not sure if it was out of line, as much as it was not a funny or original comment. I mean, my 7 year old could have written that one.

     
  • At 8:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Have they been through enough? The boys in the accident will never be the same again. These boys from Kenton, while acknowledging their wrongdoing, will go on and live normal productive lives.
    The scrutiny isn't necessarily for the Kenton boys, but for all young people that their actions and decisions must be throught through and not just the typical "boys will be boys" mentality.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, as for the comments, I have no problem with them. Again, these were adult decisions these kids made, they deserve any and all flack they receive.

     
  • At 7:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To uf fan...this is not about the comments Baker chooses to put in his blog, it's about his comment that was published in the Courier.

    To anonymous (one of them)...these boys may deserve all the flack they get, but they are not the entire Kenton team. I'm sure there are decent kids playing for Kenton and they are being made to suffer right along with the guilty parties, with comments like what was in the Pigskin Picks. Whose fault is that? The Kenton school board/coaches who determine school policies regarding player eligibility.

     
  • At 9:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Blue Devil 2, then Kenton lives in the same bed the two boys made, and they had to take this in consideration when they allow them to take the field. The judge only made them "eligible" to play. The coach and administration are responsible for playing these kids.
    Jamie Baker is a reporter for The Courier, paid to report AND make opinions in columns and Pigskin Picks. It's well within reason for him to comment on the Kenton situation.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home