Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Snap, crackle, pop!

Just paid a visit to camps at Liberty-Benton and Van Buren this morning and this afternoon.

It’s that time during the seemingly endless days of summer drills, practice and conditioning where kids get a little tired and a little antsy at the same time --the final acclimation day for high school. Tomorrow it’s go-time! Finally after nine months, it’s back to full contact football.

Any players reading this please take note. The next couple of days are crucial for you if you want to make an impact on your coach. Here’s what every high school football coach is looking for: you better hustle everytime the ball is snapped, you had better be enthusiastic and you better hit somebody.

That’s the bottom line.

I have to tell you before I discovered I had a hidden talent for throwing other fat kids around and pinning their shoulders to the mat in wrestling, football was my first love.

The first time I got an oversized pair of shoulder pads and pants from the varsity team when I was in fifth grade it was one of the greatest days in my young life. People at school stopped making fun of me and gave me a little respect because I wasn’t afraid to go out there in practice and in games and knock someone across from me on their butt.

My first day of varsity practice as a freshman my coach put me on the scout team up against the senior returning starter at center. I didn’t back down and did well enough that I never played another down on the scout team the rest of my days at St. Wendelin. And at that time it wasn’t the St. Wendelin football program you see today, it was the year we played our way into the Division V state championship game.

My advice to players out there is show the coaches what you are made of today, tomorrow and in your first scrimmage. You won’t get a second chance to make a good first impression.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home