Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Still into football?

Just a couple of questions for anyone reading this today.
Here’s a chance to tell me a little bit more about you.
Even though it’s November and we have yet to hit Thanksgiving are you still in football mode or are you ready for other things?
Some people like myself love football, can’t get enough of it. That’s one of the reasons I don’t mind our high school football teams going deep into the playoffs. It’s something I enjoy and can’t get enough of. Maybe it’s the contact I don’t know.
I am not a big basketball fan maybe because I was a failed basketball player myself. Another reason is that basketball season seems so gosh darn long. The girls season begins this week and the high school boys and college seasons don’t end until mid March. That’s a long time to focus on a single sport.
At least in the fall we have soccer, cross country, tennis, golf and volleyball to break up the monotony bit. In the winter it’s basketball five nights a week with the occasional wrestling match, swim meet or hockey match. Oh and now we do have bowling.
So what I want to know is what is your favorite sport and why? Are you glad football season is coming to and end and basketball is getting underway?
Do you like high school sports, college or the pros best.

NOTEWORTHY:
BGSU vs. TOLEDO: Who is going to win this titanic match up of Northwest Ohio powers? My pick is Toledo. It’s unusual for these teams to be playing at this time of year with essentially nothing on the line. I’ll be interested to see what the attendance is on this one. I think with there being so many late season MAC weeknight games attendance has suffered because the games are now televised on ESPN.

THANKSGIVING: What’s your favorite part of Thanksgiving? Is it seeing family you haven’t seen all year (or not maybe seeing certain relatives that don’t make it in to town)? The food? Gotta have my mom’s stuffing and make my own pecan pie. Give me a shout on this topic.

BLOGGING SCHEDULE:
Wednesday: Things to be thankful for.
Thursday: No blog.
Friday: Girls basketblog (As time permits because I have to write a Black Friday column for the news side).

6 Comments:

  • At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, football is definately my favorite sport. I definately did not want the high school season to end for us this year. Although winter is also a fun time because of wrestling, football is by far my favorite. I love high school sports, but there is nothing better than a November rivalry game in college football (OSU/Mich anyone?). Speaking of that, I will be at UT tonight barring terrible weather conditions. A couple of complimentary tickets won't keep me at home, although watching games on TV has gotten almost better than being there.

    My favorite part of Thanksgiving is the food. I went three years in HS not eating much on this holiday because of wrestling. It definately made me appreciate it more, and you can now tell because of my weight...actually I love all food. It stinks that I don't get to see my parents as they've moved to Orlando, but I'll make the best of football and food on the same day, lol.

    Rob

     
  • At 1:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    football & food, no doubt. The best way to combine the two isn't Thanksgiving though! It's the state football finals!

     
  • At 5:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am ready to talk about next HS football season!

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As a born Hoosier, basketball is king! Played them all in high school, football, basketball and baseball, but hoops is the best. I beg to differ on the length of season, basketball is only a couple of weeks longer than football. I'd like to see a 25 game high school schedule go into the first couple of weeks of April. The weather is too bad for track and baseball anyway. You talk about short seasons, look at the spring season, barely 6 weeks long.

    JDee

     
  • At 4:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    YES!
    LB is out!

     
  • At 9:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FOOTBALL - no competition. I love them all, but football has so much more to offer; it requires more teamwork, it is more mental and physical than the others, and the shape of the ball. Just think how much more exciting it is just because of the ball.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home