Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Friday, November 17, 2006

Pigskin pig out

Time for a pigskin pig out.

I’ll be covering the regional finals between Norwalk St. Paul and Hopewell-Loudon tonight, then it’s watching Ohio State-Michigan with my family Saturday afternoon and then finally attending the other big game of the weekend with my 2 brothers -- the Browns-Steelers game Sunday.

And in the down time Saturday morning and early afternoon I get to take my beautiful 9 and 7 year old nieces out to breakfast and to the movies with good old Uncle Jamie.

I ask all of you out there does it get any better than that?

OK on to the games.

TONIGHT: It should be an interesting game, St. Paul is on a roll but my question is can they keep it up? Hopewell-Loudon just has so many weapons and if they running game isn’t working they can and will throw the ball on you. I think that gives them the edge over the Flyers. I do expect a quick game with both teams keeping it on the ground. Sure St. Paul beat Mohawk 18-15, who beat Hopewell-Loudon 21-0. But that was in a Week 10 Mud Bowl, with Sean Brickner on the sidelines and 7, count ‘em 7 turnovers.
My pick: Hopewell-Loudon 27, St. Paul 20

TOMORROW:
I haven’t had the chance to comment on the Liberty-Benton game. It will be interesting to see what the attendance is like at Lima Saturday for the noon game. I remember playing one day game when I was in high school and it was one of the worst games we ever played when. We beat Patrick Henry 6-0 in an afternoon game in Fostoria the year we were the Division V state runners up. It will definitely be different as many players on both sidelines will have never played a noon football game before (Yeah I know JV Games start at 10 a.m.). I think the Eagles continue their playoff run…for at least one more week. My pick: Liberty-Benton 21, Ayersville 10

OK Time to get down to business. The biggie: Ohio State vs. Michigan. OK I am an Ohio State fan and I want them to win but it’s not life or death for me like I know it is for a lot of Buckeyes Super Fans out there. Here’s the deal. I’ve studied the scores of common opponents and OSU has the edge. They have a better quarterback in Troy Smith and I think more playmakers like Ted Ginn and Anthony Gonzales than Michigan has. Playing at home is an advantage too. They have the edge in all areas but they have to win the game on the field Saturday afternoon. They will. My pick: Ohio State 24, Michigan 14

UPDATE: Throw everything I just said out the window…Just found out Bo Schembechler collapsed during a taping of a television show and died in the hospital. This throws everything out of whack and the Wolverines will be playing with a lot of emotion. Edge: Michigan.

SUNDAY:
OK this is my make or break game for the weekend. I went to last year’s Browns-Steelers game at the Stadium on Christmas Eve dressed in my Santa Suit. Last year’s 41-0 beating the Browns were administered by the Steelers and Big Ben sticks with me to this day. It was the first time I have ever left a Browns game early. I left the stadium even before the end of the third quarter. It wasn’t a Merry Christmas Eve and I was far from a jolly old elf. I was a spitting, enraged, seething Browns fan. There had better be a better effort on the field this year. If the Buckeyes lose Saturday and the Browns fall behind big early to the Steelers I have a feeling things might get real ugly, real fast at the stadium Sunday. Here’s holding out hope: Browns 24, Steelers 21.

NOTEWORTHY:
BLOGGING SCHEDULE: Not sure of the blogging schedule this weekend but there will be a big wrestling annoucement in Saturday’s paper. Can’t let the cat or Pirate out of the bag just yet. But I may post a bonus blog tonight or tomorrow.

NEWSWORTHY:
Findlay Courier local sports

Pilots, Eagles play for regional title
Marion Local, Mechanicsburg preview

Link to Plain Dealer special section on OSU-UM game

Plain Dealer Browns-Steelers coverage

Columbus Dispatch special OSU-UM section

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home