Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A very late night

Mamas don’t let your babies grow up to be sports writers.
I’d be interested to know how many of you stayed up late last night to watch the Fiesta Bowl?
If you did stay up to watch it, it was an instant classic.
Late games. It’s the one thing I hate about my sports writing gig. Especially when they put on some bullcrap halftime extravaganza that stretches a 15 or 20 minute halftime into 45 minutes like last night.
There I was with the six pages of sports for today’s Courier all laid out and ready to go to press but I had to wait 2 hours until the Fiesta Bowl finally wrapped up at about 1 a.m.
Usually when there is a late game like that and things go wrong to delay the game like big scores late, overtimes, replay reviews I’ll launch into a couple of different profanity laced tirades that would make a sailor blush. Don’t worry I didn’t disappoint yesterday, I came though with a string of words your mother would have washed your mouth out for.
So do me a favor. Since I waited until I could get that great Fiesta Bowl story in the newspaper today, plunk down 50 cents and get a copy. Make my wait last night worthwhile.

NEWSWORTHY:
Northwest Ohio Wrestling Results and Information
Findlay Courier Tuesday Local Sports
Fostoria Review Times Tuesday Sports
Bucyrus area prep roundup
Buckeye Central pulls away from Bucyrus boys
How the Buckeyes get those leaves on their helmets
Defiance puts score into FHS Trojans
Galion shocks Lexington
Tiffin Advertiser Tribune Sports

5 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I did not watch the entire game, and I am typically a die-hard bowl game fan. What were they thinking starting the game at 9:00 PM? While I hardly raced the sun home New Year's night/morning I was up late enough that when Boise looked to have the game well in hand I cried 'no mas' and hit the sack.

    I feel your pain and will pick up a paper. Thanks for hanging in there.

    cdp

     
  • At 2:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    it is now 5:32 and Michigan still sucks!

     
  • At 6:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey, at least you get the chance to watch the game. People like me that would like to watch it have to be to work at 11:00pm!!!!!

     
  • At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does it count if I already subscribe to the paper??

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not quite sure why you held up deadline. The people who cared stayed up and watched it and didn't need to read it in the paper. The fringe fan may have read it this morning, but that's about it. Most west coast games don't make the paper the next day.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home