Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Thursday, November 30, 2006

Tab is out

So the Courier Basketball Tab is out.

The focus? Carlee Roethlisberger. She’s one hell of a basketball player. It will be interesting to see how the Trojans fare in volleyball and basketball next season without Carlee in the middle of the action. She has been such a big part of each program and their success that I wonder how each program will do without her in the lineup next season. She is a one-girl show.

The Greater Buckeye Conference is so bad in many sports that I think the Trojans will probably do just fine without her next year and in the future. And she should do well as a member of the women’s basketball team at Oklahoma University.

OK back to the basketball tab. Did you read it? Did you like it? What did you like? What do we need to improve on? Any ideas, I’m looking for feedback here.

I enjoy working on the football tab much more the basketball tab is a chore because we have a limited window in which to get it done and we still have a lot of fall sports going on. All I can say is that it’s done and now we can move on to covering basketball, wrestling and other winter sports on a day-to-day basis.

NOTEWORTHY:
BLOG THIS: Sometime tonight I will post about 25 or 30 boys basketball capsules from throughout Northwest Ohio that we didn’t have room for in the basketball tab. Just a little bonus coverage. Also for all of my buddies that like to hang around a mat I will post a link to all of the Northwest Ohio wrestling schedules I have typed up in preparation for the season beginning Monday.
For that person asking if I was going to blog on my alma mater, St. Wendelin’s, quest for mediocrity. I’m working on it and I will blog on the topic sometime soon.

PREVIEW STORIES:
We were talking about this the other day. As a reader and sports fan which would you rather read, a Findlay High School preview of their upcoming boys basketball games for the weekend or a feature about some interesting sports story at the school. For me, I’d rather read a feature as long know who the Trojans will be playing for the weekend. I mean previews are 14 weeks of the same quotes from the coach every week with some stats from opposing players thrown in. What do you think?

WHAT ARE WE MISSING?: Are we missing any big stories out there? What should we cover more of, less of as members of the media? More college basketball, NBA, Hockey? Let me know.

NEWSWORTHY:
Napoleon girls beat Bryan
Browns turmoil continues
Tar Heels outgun Buckeyes
Defiance girls stop Patrick Henry
Defiance area girls basketball round up
Thunderbirds edge Fort Jennings
Findlay Courier local sports for Thursday
Lexington opens season with public wrestleoffs

6 Comments:

  • At 8:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the coverage is pretty good. I like seeing more coverage on the local sports teams. That is info that I can't find anywhere else. I also like seeing pictures of the local teams in the paper not the Cleveland and Detroit pro teams. Whereas NBA and Hockey and other professional sports I can find as much info as I want on them on the net. I would just like to see more focus on the local teams. I realize its tough seeing how the sports department is spread fairly thin already. Keep up the overall good work.

     
  • At 11:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just like any other person that likes wrestling would say, "I'd like to see more wrestling coverage." You guys definately do a good job with it, but it's obvious that wrestling doesn't get as much press as other sports. Speaking of the FHS basketball feature, I'd much rather have something different every week as well.

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's obvious you guys don't like doing the basketball tab, the content is much less than the football. In the football tab, you have a team pic, stats from the last season, a 10 year history of the team record, depth chart. In basketball, you get a few names and a schedule.
    While I understand you are busy in the fall, many of those items, 10 year team record, stats from the previous year could be done anytime after the previous season is complete.

     
  • At 6:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't think it's so much the Courier guys don't like doing the basketball tab as it is the basketball tab takes so big of an effort compared to the football tab.
    I used to work with Jamie at the Courier years ago, so I know of what I speak. The basketball tab is more challenging because of the short time you have to work on it, plus there are way more teams to cover for the basketball tab than the football tab.
    Not every team in the Courier area has football, and of course there are no girls football teams. But everyone has both boys and girls basketball teams. I believe that's well over 60 high school basketball teams to get info on, write about and publish in the tab.
    While the same kind of stats and records from the past decade that you find in the football tab would be nice for the basketball tab, space constraints (and time constraints, especially) simply won't allow it.

     
  • At 8:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ok I can buy your point, a little bit. Yes, there are many more teams due to the girls. However, the football tab is typically 20-25 pages more than the basketball tab. I would think with more teams being covered, the hoops tab would be naturally bigger?
    Secondly, as I stated earlier, the year to year records, coach's record, stat leaders could be updated on April 15, it's not something that needs to be done a week before the tab is published. That's not a time issue.
    Finally, the niche of smaller newspapers is local news and sports. While you may say there are time and space constraints, you can't jeopardize what you do best for the sake of time and inches.

     
  • At 5:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    well, isnt the paper a business? isnt ther more advertising in football tab? time, football tab in summer when hs sports is slow; bb tab, football being covereed, other sports starting? like he siad a lot more teams, a lot less time?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home