Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

A time to be thankful

Thanksgiving one of my favorite holidays of the year because it gives us all time to pause and reflect on some of the things we take for granted in our daily lives.

But I have to admit, sometimes I even forget myself to think about all of those things that I am thankful for in between a second helping of turkey, mashed potatos and making my world famous pecan pie.

Here is a good website chronicling the history of our Thanksgiving celebration here in America.

Anyway here are a few things I am personally thankful for this Thanksgiving.

1, My family. It hasn’t been a great year so far. I know I can always count on the support of my my mom and step dad whenever I may need them. Plus I have two younger brothers a sister in law and three beautiful nieces and nephews, who I simply adore. I’m thankful too that at least one of my grandparents is still alive my Grandma Elchert is a feisty old broad (and I say that with love) that loves football maybe more than I do.

2. This may sound stupid but I am also thankful that I moved out of Fostoria. I was born and raised there pretty much except for short stints in Bettsville, Tiffin and Dayton when I went to college. I probably wasted a full year of my life waiting on trains at crossings over the span on my life.

3. I’m thankful, I have a roof over my head, a job that I enjoy, with terrific co-workers. Even if they do know which buttons to push just to get me a little riled up like they did last night. I’m never going to get rich but I love what I do and with few exceptions I enjoy going to work every day. A lot of people in the world have no home, no job, no family. I feel blessed each and every day because when I start feeling sorry for something that’s happened to me, I realize there are a lot worse situations happing to a lot more people than myself.

4. This may sound stupid but I am thankful for something as simple as email and fax machines. They have made my life so much easier. There were some days this fall when we would get 30 emails a day with results and maybe 10 or 12 faxes. I can’t imagine what it was like before we had such modern conveniences.

5. I’m also thankful that God has given me all these blessings.

6, I’m thankful lots of little things that I don‘t have time to mention here. A cold beer on a hot summer day, The tug of a big fish on the end of my line. Things like that.

I’d like to hear a few things that you might be thankful for.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home