Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Buckeye worries

Just a few more days until the Big One.
No, I’m not talking about the International Bowl game between the University of Cincinnati and Western Michigan.
I have to say unlike most of the Buckeye faithful out there I am a bit concerned. The long layoff, the hype and watching Michigan get their butt handed to them by USC in the Rose Bowl all have me kind of apprehensive about Monday’s BCS championship game.
I feel like I should be confident the Buckeyes are going to beat the University of Florida because I am fairly confident that Ohio State is a better football team. They have more talent and I do believe they are better coached, sorry to all you Urban Meyer fans out there.
I know I’m the sports writer I’m supposed to be telling you who’s going to win the OSU-Florida game and why? But I sometimes sneak a peak at The Sports Reporters on ESPN on Sundays and laugh to myself that I could do as good a job as the high-priced talent they have on that show. Many of you could do as good a job as they do too for that matter.
I want to know your opinion. Tell me why you think the Buckeyes or Gators are going to win the game. Hell you can even give a prediction if you want to.
Keeping with the Buckeyes theme today, what’s going to happen at Upper Sandusky when Jon Diebler leaves to become a Buckeye next season. Do you think his dad sticks around to coach the Rams or will he be off following the fortunes of his sons when they will both be playing Division I basketball.
How far will the Rams go in the tournament? While they are primarily a one trick pony, they do have a few talented players like Alex Falk and Drew McClellan surrounding Jon Diebler. Just a little food for thought.

NOTEWORTHY:
HAPPY NEW YEAR LIMA!: Lima rung in the new year right with four people stabbed on New Year’s Day! Read about it here in today’s Lima News. Who are these people? And thank God I don’t hang with any of them.

NEWSWORTHY:
Northwest Ohio Wrestling Results and Info
Findlay Courier Wednesday Sports
Fostoria Review Times Wednesday Sports
Monroeville burns Buckeye Central girls
Wynford girls breeze past Mohawk
Bucyrus girls beat Crestview
Lima News Wednesday Prep Roundup
Rebounding keys Hopewell-Loudon girls victory

3 Comments:

  • At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have to agree, after watching the bowl games and the Big 10 getting it handed to them in most of them...I am a bit skeptical. I have class that night until 9, boy do I hope that the professor lets us out early. On top of that, I have class the next morning...so there goes my drinking. Either way, as long as the Bucks win, I'll have a good time.

    Projection
    OSU 21
    UF 10

    Rob

     
  • At 5:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As there are no guarantees in the sports world, I'm not going to say that Ohio Sate will win. However, I will say that they should win. Reasons?

    #1. They have the better athletes and team mindset.

    #2. The team has appeared to be pretty well focused game in and game out (yeah, I know, they looked a little down in a couple of games, but it's hard to keep up intensity 100% of the time).

    #3. The Buckeyes are led by the best coach to come down the college pike in a long time.

    #4. Outstanding record against ranked teams and in bowl appearances since we got rid of Coop.

    #5...and most importantly...Ohio State ain't Michigan ;)

    The better question for this post would be concerning the status of Lloyd Carr's position.....

    As to Upper...I haven't seen them play, but I think they will make it to Columbus and end up with the state runner's up trophy. Papa Diebler may stay around for one more year at the Rams' helm and then Upper basketball will go the way of Upper football after DeWitt left the Rammies barn.

     
  • At 5:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oops! Forgot Reason #6.
    The Buckeyes have The Best Damn Band (and Fans) in the Land!
    Translation: Ohio State will have a larger and louder fan base in Arizona..12th Man Factor beats Media (ESPN) "We Hate the Big Ten Blitz".

    GO BUCKS!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home