Blanchard River Buzz

A blog for rabid sports fans in the Findlay Area. Maintained by Findlay Courier sports writer Jamie Baker. The opinions expressed are my own crazed ramblings and not those of my employer the Findlay Publishing Company and its subsidiaries.

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Sports questions

Anyone have any sports questions?

It would be interesting to take any questions if anyone has any and try and find you a few answers. I’d be willing to do

it if anyone has any questions out there.

Questions could have to do with prep sports, sports in general or even why in my picture on my blog I’m in a stockade? Just ask away.

While I enjoy sports, this is the time of year that kind of wears on me. Things are never ending. There’s just waaaayyyy too much today. Especially in the fall. There are so many sports football, volleyball, cross country, golf, soccer and tennis.

Each night it’s busy as hell between 9-midnight with all of the calls, emails and faxes we get with area results. In between them, we have to squeeze in the feature stories, previews and other things we have to get done. Some of the stuff I do you probably haven’t even thought of like one of my jobs is to send faxes and emails to some of our outside of the area athletic directors asking them to send us weekend events like cross country, golf and tennis invitationals.

I complain a little bit but I have to admit I enjoy being very busy at work. I laugh when I see a couple of our news reporters spending parts of their days clipping their nails or decorating their desks for Halloween. I’d rather spend my time and the rest of the sports staff would rather spend their time at work on sports and telling the stories of area athletes, teams and coaches.

Here’s a little something that came up last spring I’d like to hear some opinions on.

Last spring there was a baseball game. It was a key conference game and one of the kids trying to make a play fielded the ball and way over threw first base allowing the winning run to score. We got a call from the player’s dad saying that we didn’t need to use his name on the play. He said we could have just said Arcadia’s shortstop or Liberty-Benton’s second baseman. We didn’t have to use his son’s name for making a mistake that essentially cost his team the game. The point my boss made to him was if he would have hit the game winning home run he would have wanted his boy’s name in the paper right? Anyone have any opinion?

NOTEWORTHY:
MAL VOLLEYBALL: Someone who attended last night’s Hopewell-Loudon vs. New Riegel’s volleyball match told me that the Chieftains had a deer-in-the-headlights look in their loss to New Riegel.The loss allowed Old Fort to move into a first place tie with the Chieftains atop the MAL with one match left to play. Things won’t get any easier for the Chieftains as they have to beat an excellent Mohawk team Thursday night to win a share of the title. Old Fort travels to Seneca East the same night. We’ll see if they can rebound.

BOSTIC SUSPENSION: The University of Findlay men’s basketball program will be without one of its better players at the beginning of the season. Josh Bostic has been convicted of receiving stolen property as was printed in the Courier’s police docket last week. He was sentenced to a diversion program. He’ll have to sit out a few of the Oilers first couple of games this season.
Bostic is the third high profile UF athlete to have troubles with the law in recent years, although his brush was much less serious than that of Chris Commons and Kendall Stevens. Commons was convicted of robbery and served his sentence and is out of jail while Stevens pled to a number of charges in exchange for his testimony in his brother’s murder trial that will get underway later this year.

TIGHTLIPPED REDSKINS: Give Arcadia football coach Joe Kirkendall credit. He’s into discipline and he obviously warned his players not to say anything that might get Vanlue fired up as I interviewed Arcadia’s players about their upcoming rivalry game with Vanlue Friday night. They all towed the line and were very careful about what they said.
I’ll take Arcadia to win this game, just a gut feeling.


NEWSWORTHY:
Courier local sports (Includes story about Pandora-Gilboa coach B.J. Queen’s daily commute from Columbus)
Old Fort sweeps Crimson Streaks
Napoleon spikes Fremont
Buckeye Central gets share of NCC crown
Prep cross country poll
Woman charged with drunk horse riding
Galion volleyball rallies past Upper Sandusky

Fourth teen pleads in deer decoy case
Lima News Tuesday prep roundup
Mansfield News Journal Prep roundup
Players meeting sparks turnaround at Marion
Marion heads to Napoleon without Faggs
Tiffin Advertiser Tribune volleyball roundup

7 Comments:

  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am in complete favor of having the kid's name in the paper when he makes a mistake, because he sure would like it in there if he did something great. I don't, however, believe that a high school athlete should be ridiculed in the paper (not that I've seen it) like some of the professional athletes are.

    Rob

     
  • At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So did you run the name of the player or not? I don't see how can let the public dictate what you write and do not write. Please tell me you published his name.

     
  • At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'd like to buy you a beer sometime and get your real opinion on some of the area teams, coaches and players. I'd be very interested in the stuff you can't publish, even on this blog.

     
  • At 5:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was a good story on the P-G coach.

     
  • At 7:44 PM, Blogger --J-- said…

    Heck yeah we printed the kid's name. His dad called the paper and raised holy hell too. Sometimes you have to let the public dictate what you write though.

    You can't put everything in print that you want to, believe me. And each writer has his own degrees. I pretty much don't care what people think when I'm writing a column...I just let it out. Other writers are more diplomatic or afraid so say what they think. It's all a matter of styles.

    Hey I'm always up for a free beer.

     
  • At 12:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have been impressed with the stability of the BVC. I would like to see a story about that and where the future of the conference is going - especially with the rapid growth of LB and how that could affect it.

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    First of all, I really enjoy reading your blog.

    I know the exact baseball game you were referring to, and the error that resulted in a phone call from a Dad.

    Absolutely, Yes! You should have put the name in the paper. Losing pitcher's names are listed and discussed when they do not have a good outing. The other positions should be held accountable for their errors as well. You will never make every school and parent happy!

    On another sport... has the Courier ever considered doing "roundball picks" for basketball like they do for football ? I think a lot of people would enjoy those picks too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home